Becoming a live-in member of the Penn Hills #1 Vol. Fire Department is financially advantageous for students pursuing a postsecondary education. The station is a short commute to Community College of Allegheny County, Penn State University (New Kensington & McKeesport Campus), Carlow College, University of Pittsburgh, Duquesne University, Carnegie Mellon University, Robert Morris University, Chatham College, Point Park University, and LaRoche College. We are a short 15 minute drive away from the Waterworks Mall, Pittsburgh Mills, and Monroeville Malls as well as the Bakery Square and Shadyside area’s. With current student housing expenses on the rise, the live-in program offered by the Penn Hills #1 Vol. Fire Department provides a financial savings for the student, while enhancing the staffing levels and service provided to the community.
The Department responds to all call for service, including fire, rescue, QRS, hazardous materials, and public service requests. We operate a Rescue Pumper (Squad Concept), Wagon and Tower Ladder as our primary response vehicles, as well as a utilty pick up and chief’s buggy. In exchange for free living accommodations, the live-in member will be required to perform station duties, vehicle and equipment inspections, attend trainings / meetings, and respond to emergency calls. Attendance and dedication to education are a priority and will be taken into consideration if they conflict with station duties.
The Penn Hills #1 Vol. Fire Department facility provides its members with:
- Internet Access (Verizon Fios Internet)
- PC Computer Access (MS Word, Excel, and more)
- Quiet Study Area
- Kitchen Facilities (Microwave, Stove, Refrig., and more)
- On-site Fitness Equipment
- Air Conditioned Sleeping Quarters
- Washer and Dryer
- Close access to PA Turnpike, Pittsburgh Parkway East, Shopping & Dining
There are currently 4 openings for live-in members. The openings will be filled on an application and interview basis. Firefighters with previous training and experience will be given first consideration for the program; however, we will accept interested individuals with no previous training or experience into the program.
Requirements to become a live-in member with the Penn Hills #1 Vol. Fire Department:
- Employed on a part time basis or attending post secondary education
- Must comply with company policies and procedures
A live-in firefighter will be issued (based on approval from the Chief):
- NFPA compliant turnout gear
- NFPA compliant helmet (Personal Leather Helmets are permitted)
- Nomex hood & gloves
- Survivor flashlight
- Fire company Class C & D Uniforms
- Alert Pager
- Fire / EMS / Rescue and Continuing Education Classes on routine basis
If you are interested in becoming a live-in member with the Penn Hills #1 Vol. Fire Department please contact Chief Shawn Snyder at 412-241-9285 or send an email.